ZeeTheCook’s Chicken Lemon Rice Zoup!
Preparing your chicken/chicken broth… you will need:
- 1 large pot of water
- 3 chicken leg quarters bone-in, skin on
- 1 medium onion cut in half
- Tiny (½ stick) cinnamon
- 2 whole cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3 whole peppercorns
- Chicken Cleaning Instruction: Use a sliced and opened lemon to scrub the chicken with all purpose flour and vinegar. Scrub and clean for a good 3 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
*To make the broth:
1) Put the ingredients above in a large pot of water and bring to a boil + remove any excess (white foam) that comes to the top of the pot using a large spoon.
2) Once water boils, simmer to a medium-low boil for 1 hour until the chicken looks like it might fall off the bone.
3) Discard all ingredients from the pot (except the chicken) by CAREFULLY pouring the broth into another soup pot using a mesh strainer in between to catch all ingredients and only carry out the perfect broth.
4) Pick out the chicken pieces from the strainer and set them aside. After cleaning off the skin and bones, the meat portions will be used at the very end of this recipe.
Vegetables and other essential ingredients:
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup short grain rice (masri rice preferred, pre-soaked in warm water for 10)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon “Vegeta” Seasoning (or more as needed, it has salt in it so be careful)
- ¼-⅓ cup bunch parsley, cleaned and finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried french tarragon leaves
- Vegetable bouillon, 1-2
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 4 lemon wedges (to simply be tossed into the pot while cooking)
- Juice of 4 whole lemons + fresh lemon juice as needed
- Mazola vegetable oil for cooking
1) In a large skillet on medium heat, use 3 tablespoons of Mazola oil to saute vegetables (about 7-10 min)
2) Add black + white pepper and once the veggies are part cooked, set aside.
3) In your Soup Pot, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
4) Add chicken broth, vegetable bouillon, vegeta and pre soaked rice to the butter and flour… cook for 15 min. on medium-low heat until everything is well dissolved.
5) Throw in veggies and tarragon and heat for another 10 min.
6) Taste Test.
7) If the carrots are tender, and the celery softened- your soup is almost ready to be devoured! If they need more time, cover and continue cooking-checking on them often, otherwise proceed to next step!
8) Stir in parsley, chicken, lemon juice … Cook on medium heat uncovered for 5 minutes.
9) Taste test your soup. What does it need? More Vegeta or pepper ? More Lemon ? Is it perfect?
Contact me with any questions! Email : email@example.com
10) Garnish with herb-seasoned croutons, few pieces of diced fresh tomato, and more parsley if you love it like I do…
*Share your results with me by hash-tagging #ZeeTheCook and tagging @ZeeTheCook on social media!
Follow: ZeeTheCook on Instagram & Facebook for more delicious recipes!