Balsamic Roasted Chicken w Veggies
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, breasts or drumsticks
3/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp. whole-grain mustard
6 cloves garlic, minced
Cumin to taste
Chef Paul Poultry Seasoning to taste
kosher salt ⧭ 2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper ⧭ Squeeze of a lemon and lemon zest
4 tbsp. Honey ⧭ 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 c. Part fried baby red potatoes, (or Idaho potatoes) halved
baby carrots raw
6 rosemary sprigs, for skillet / parsley to garnish
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Season chicken on the outside and inside (beneath the skin) with Poultry Seasoning, butter and Cumin. Insert tiny pieces of butter beneath the skin, and then lock it up by pressing down with skin.
2) In a large bowl, combine balsamic, honey, mustard, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Add chicken thighs and toss until fully coated, then transfer to the fridge to marinate at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
3) Meanwhile, prep part fried potatoes/carrots: In a medium bowl, add potatoes and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss until combined. Set aside.
4) In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining tablespoons of oil. Add chicken, marinade and lemon zest and sear, skin side down, 3 minutes. Then flip and sear 2 minutes more. Add potatoes to skillet, or transfer to a larger baking dish and nestle potatoes between chicken, and rosemary sprigs.
5) Transfer to the oven and bake until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through, 1 hour.
6. Serve chicken and potatoes with pan drippings and squeezes of lemon juice.